It’s been a great week for conservatives and populists. Brexit, the Democrats’ disastrous Iowa caucuses, Trump’s incredible SOTU, Trump’s acquittal in the Senate: it’s almost too much winning, just as Trump promised when he was running for office.
With so much goodness—and more to come—it’s hard to dream up something to write about today. So, in the spirit of the SOTU, here’s a brief update on the State of the Blog here in 2020:
- I’ve continued with daily posts, though I’m beginning to make them a bit shorter. That’s mainly due to time constraints—the lazy, cold weeks of January have melted into the increased tempo of February. Things are picking up at work, and will only get busier from here on out.
- I’m still sitting steady at five subscribers to my SubscribeStar page. I’m up to fifty-six posts over there (it’ll be fifty-eight by the end of this weekend), with most of those available at the $1 level. The Sunday Doodles seem to be eliciting big laughs from the $5 subscribers, and I’m looking to expand offerings at that tier. I’m trying to devote more time overall to making the Saturday essays more in-depth than the daily posts here. Regardless, it’s a huge value—tons of content for just a buck.
- I’ve made no progress on the long-discussed Portly Podcast. That’s a whole world that I just haven’t had a chance to explore, and when I finally do it, I want to do it right. It’s also a matter of time. I’m considering a half-hour weekly format, one that would largely review pieces from the week, with some additional commentary. That might become a SubscribeStar exclusive.
- Similarly, the many eBook ideas I’ve had have not been fleshed out at all. The daily blog here tends to take up the one free hour I have every day to get a bit of writing done, and I’m typically wiped out in the evenings when I finally get home. Mentally, I’m a morning person—that’s when I write the best material, and my mind is the most lucid (especially after a couple of cups of coffee). I’m looking to spend most of this summer writing, so be on the lookout for more updates then.
- In the meantime, I’m really looking to expand my SubscribeStar page subscriber base. If you know of someone who wouldn’t mind pitching in a buck a month, please forward them this link: https://www.subscribestar.com/the-portly-politico/subscribe?tier_id=6854. I struggled just to get my own family members—who wanted to subscribe and were motivated to do so—to take a few minutes to sign up. I’m not complaining—I appreciate the support, y’all—I’m just pointing out how difficult it is to get even motivated buyers to pull the trigger. One reason I keep pitching the subscriptions is because folks forget it’s out there.
That’s about it for now. It’s been fun keeping up with the blog. I’m just hoping to monetize this sucker a bit more. Any support you can offer is always welcomed, and much appreciated.
Thanks again for your support!