Overblown

I now receive ad revenue here at The Portly Politico, so if you’re using an ad blocker, please consider disabling it on this site.  Of course, you can always subscribe to my SubscribeStar Page, which is the best and easiest way to support the site and get access to exclusive weekly content.  Thanks again for your support!  —TPP

As I’ve long suspected, The Virus is not nearly as lethal as the doomsayers predicted and insisted.  It turns out that only 6% of reported COVID-related deaths were purely related to The Virus; the other 94% of victims had other underlying medical issues.

Let me be clear:  I do think The Virus is real and is potentially life-threatening, especially for the elderly and the chronically ill.  Indeed, the CDC findings indicate that is, indeed, the case.  Even when not life-threatening, it’s surely unpleasant—just like a particularly bad case of the flu is unpleasant.

But just as we’ve done in the past with bad flu seasons, we should begin returning to some degree of normality.  Indeed, Sweden’s approach to The Virus has been practical and effective:  protect the elderly and other vulnerable populations while encouraging as much normality as possible for the rest of society.  Let younger people work, play, and mingle, and develop that coveted herd immunity.

I’ve read several commentators point out that media reporting now focuses on the number of new cases of The Virus, rather than the number of deaths, because new cases sounds threatening and scary—but also because the death toll is plateauing.  The media desperately needs to keep The Virus top-of-mind so that local tinpot dictators can continue to curtail civil liberties and try to foist mail-in voting on their States.

Again, I’m not some reality-denying bomb thrower, and I certainly don’t want anyone to get sick and die—but that’s going to happen with virtually any disease that hits the extremely sick or elderly.  Prudence should be the watchword, not reckless cowardice.  Wearing a mask is annoying—especially in South Carolina in August—but probably prudent, although I would never vote for a mandatory mask ordinance myself, as I think people can make their own choices better than the government.

The lockdowns maybe made sense for the “two weeks to flatten the curve” back in March—we were worried about overloading our hospital beds and running out of ventilators, and we needed capacity to increase.  But locking people in their houses for months is insane.

The point of “flattening the curve” was to slow the spread temporarily, but it’s the same logic behind those bogus one-day gas boycotts back in 2009 when gas was $4 a gallon.  The theory was that if everyone stopped buying gas for one day, it would throw oil markets into a tizzy, and gas stations would duly reduce gas prices in a desperate attempt to draw back customers.  The problem is that you’re just delaying when everyone gets gas—instead of Tuesday, we’ll just go Wednesday.

Similarly with “flattening the curve”—you’re not going to get The Virus in March, instead you’re going to get it in April, or May, or August.  At some point, the lockdown ends, you crawl out of quarantine—blinking in the harsh sunlight of reality—and risk getting sick.

That’s a risk worth taking to maintain a society and an economy.  Again, I’m all for better sanitation practices, keeping a respectful distance from strangers, and all that.  But don’t turn regular citizens into narcs, calling in their neighbors for throwing a party.  That’s the kind of East German Stasi tactics that destroy community cohesion and social trust.  Suddenly, everyone is a potential asymptomatic super spreader, and no one can be trusted.  It’s like living in a 1970s science-fiction dystopia.

Ultimately, that seems to be the most deleterious effect of The Virus, next to the deaths:  we’ve all become informants on one another, enforcing ever-changing rules dictated from “experts” and “professionals” on high.  Sounds like progressivism’s vision of society, if you ask me.  Quite frankly, it stinks.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s